Monday, August 4, 2008

Manny Being Manny...In L.A.?

Those who know me for even a minute know that I am an insanely proud Red Sox fan. Being born in Dorchester, Massachusetts comes with certain fringe benefits, being a citizen of Red Sox Nation most importantly. As such, it is not only my privilege to watch and follow the most dramatic baseballers in the history of the game, but to criticize the hell out of even my most favorite players. Hey, I've taken my knocks, the 1986 World Series and the 2003 ALCS come to mind quickest. For a few moments back in 2004 (and 2007 for that matter) it looked as if I had the Sox of my 1986 memories back, going down three games to none against the dreaded Yankees (and three games to one to the Indians in '07). But alas, my boys handed the Evil Empire the biggest choke in the choking history of chokers as they came back and stunned the world with an unprecedented comeback (and gave the Indians a similar spanking). So yeah, I deserve a crack as a Sox analyst.
This brings me to Red Sox Nation's former beloved Manny Ramirez. Once again he begins his seemingly annual plea for a trade, but this time he turned u.g.l.y. with no alibi. Two weeks ago he started an all out smear campaign against the front office all the while making an ass of himself. What evidence is there? Well, his constant loafing on grounders when he should have legged them out, his admiring his own power when the ball didn't even leave the yard, and most recently a mystery knee injury that couldn't be found on an MRI. Let's not forget the other countless, yet too many to list, "Manny being Manny" moments the Sox put up with to get 30 plus homers, 100 plus RBI, and a near .300 average every season.
Even with those numbers, enough is enough! Despite the fact that Cooperstown already has a spot for him, despite the fact that he just may be one of the best hitters in baseball history, despite these facts, the drama and drag he brought to the Sox had become just too much. Good luck Dodgers and Dodgers fans, I hope he truly is happy out there. If not, you may get the same story we got here in New England, to paraphrase, "I'm happy man. This is a dream come true man. I want to retire in a Red Sox uniform." Then half way through the season he turns on us. Oh wait, that's how his L.A. story has started...like I said good luck L.A.
That's me, right now, in the middle of everything.

1 comment:

phairhead said...

Great hitter, makes many many in errors in the outfield. his arms are too big