Sunday, September 30, 2018

I Stand By Her, I Believe Her

In the same week Bill Cosby faces sentencing, Brett Kavenaugh is facing strikingly similar accusations. But, it’s not about them. It’s about the women coming forward. It’s about all women. I wish there was something I could say to make this reality different. But, it’s also not about me. I know when the women in my life are very visibly, and justifiably, upset by this topic that it’s “not all men.” I know they know that too. Therefore, that’s not something I’ll ever say without quotations. Ever. I don’t take the frustrations, upsets, and pain women are feeling personally. Other than I know women I care about are strongly feeling those emotions. What I do take personally is other men, as good intentioned as they may be, saying “not all men.” No shit. Another thing I take personally is the fight to demand better from ALL men regarding the issues of sexual assault and rape. Because, even though it’s “not all”, so many men are showing us exactly why so many women don’t report incidents of assault, harassment, and rape. Talks and posts about men needing to be careful to even talk to women for fear their lives will be ruined... stop. We, ALL men, need to stop posting shit like that. We, ALL men need to be better. Act better. And call out those men that don’t. But, again, this isn’t about us. Or me. 

I mean, I can only truly imagine what it’s like to walk in a woman’s shoes. To live a woman’s life. I’ll never truly understand what it’s like. That’s why I know the best I’ve got is this, and this is solidarity.   

No comments: